Saturday 25 August 2012

An Englishman on an American Blog

The following is a guest post by Craig Butters (@craigbutters), who blogs over at www.craigbutters.com and has suffered the past 102 days with the plight of an American girl, desperately seeking employment in good ol’ Blighty.
 
No one ever said it’d be easy
 
To quote the mighty Coldplay “No one ever said it’d be easy” and how right they were.  Exactly 103 days ago on the 15th May, an American girl armed with a plethora of suitcases, bags and a UK work Visa arrived back into my life following a breakup almost two years prior – only this time, the reasons for our meet were based entirely on different circumstance.
 
This time, there was a clear goal, an objective if you will; a timescale of exactly one month and three days to find and secure a job - not just any job mind, a career job – before the clock ran out and the long return flight back to the USA occurred. 
 
No one ever said it’d be easy.  Living alone for the past two years has afforded me the luxuries of being able to set my own agenda, do things on my own time, enjoy quiet time when required or blast music whenever such an occasion was called for.  My corner of a sleepy little village in Durham, England was about to change; no longer was I a single entity, I’d now be cooking for two, watching my energy bills rise and entertaining every single night – as well as continuing to fulfil a full time and demanding job that often requires some early morning starts, late finishes and weekend activities.
 
Fortunately, I actually quite enjoy cooking and having recently re-kindled a passion for noodles and Chinese food the prospect of having a victim someone around to sample was a welcomed enhancement to my little hobby.
 
The difficulties arose when trying to keep entertainment flowing night after night; you see Katie has a very different outlook on life when compared to my own.  I work all day and enjoy time in the evening to relax and chill out before the madness of the next day ensues.  Katie, having time at home to search for a job during the day, is always ready for something to occupy her by the time I arrive home from the office in a variety of stressed states of mind. 
 
However, try my best I did; movie nights on a Wednesday, a village walk in the evening, a few meals out every now and again – a pretty normal existence given the circumstances and differing energies of two people who spend their days in vastly different environments.  My dislike of English soaps, in direct competition with those of an American girl hell bent on soaking up every iota of English culture, also introduced an odd situation where soaps were banned from my living room television.
 
But these minor inconveniences to life’s every day differences of two people from vastly different cultures and countries were nothing compared to the hatred that had built up inside me and would cause massive amounts of possibly irreparable frustrations.
 
i
 
Anyone that knows me or has at least glanced at my blog will know that I’m a techie (an “IT Systems Manager” to quote my full and rather flashy job title, which I’m not ashamed to tell people proudly in any way what-so-ever).  As a techie I have a ‘standard’ to live up to and a certain computer manufacturer, I swore would never be allowed on my property, was brought into my home – two fold!
 
Those devices, ladies and gentlemen, are an Apple iPod and an Apple iPad!
 
I can already hear half of you recoil and gasp in absolute horror; I can also hear some of you exclaim ‘what is wrong with an Apple product?’ Well, let me tell you that I’ve long been what is referred to as a ‘fanboi’ of Microsoft and their products – as a technologist who uses their products daily and has built my career from their tech, why wouldn’t I be?
 
In my eyes Apple are the company that should exist, but shouldn’t be as successful as they currently are – their technology is based on closed-walled technology and suckering users into that walled-garden by locking their music and movies into their eco-system.  Their clever marketing has created a word-of-mouth approach to consumer electronics that is based on nothing more than a perceived ‘cool’ factor, rather than a technical or logical choice for users who don’t necessarily understand the IT environment.
 
Without ranting about the Cupertino companies ethics and technology any further – sufficed to say, Katie bravely brought those devices into my home, despite my insistence and claims that I have a perfectly good hammer just waiting for an excuse to be used in anger.
 
Platform 4
 
As the owner of a fine automobile, prior to 15th May, I could count the total amount of times I’ve ever been to Durham Train Station in my entire life – 3! 
 
Within 103 days, I’ve lost count of the amount of times I’ve been to drop off and pick up Katie as she’s travelled the length of the English Isles for job interviews, follow-ups and searches for accommodation after the Ipswitch adventure.
 
Most of the trips there have been rather insightful though of a connected eco-system of people visiting the North East and Durham City.  It’s often forgotten that people arrive in the dead of night and leave early mornings – even in this digital, online age of technology (and rising train fares!)
 
Bucks
 
If there is a lesson, at all, to be learnt from the experience it is this; Starbucks is universal.
 
The coffee giant with the comfy seating, the very embodiment of American culture, is the place that everyone, regardless of country of origin (America or England’s green and pleasant), can sit and drink and talk rubbish for hours, safe in the knowledge that good coffee will be served - or an alternative for those who don’t embrace the coffee culture (*cough* ahem, Katie *cough*). 
 
The coffeehouse is still a magical place and Starbucks still leads the way in my opinion. The only other place that comes close is the cinema, with its silver screens and ability to transport you into just about any world or situation you could ever possibly conceive of.
 
Both places are locations that have brought the pair of us together and shared memorable experiences, fuelled by the wonder that is film and caffeine based beverages.
 
The Soundtrack
 
For the past 103 days though, the soundtrack has not been the Coldplay classic – the soundtrack has undoubtedly been something just a touch more rock and roll, a tad more nerdy – and some would say a slightly funnier!
 
That’s right pop-pickers, our last 103 days have been undertaken and subjected to the fast and clever lyrics and piano playing of Mr Tim Minchin.  I personally couldn’t have picked a better soundtrack – from the ‘Rock and Roll Nerd’ anthem; but the songs have certainly started to pick up meaning.
 
Without sitting on the fence, my unbiased, dark side view would be that whilst not perfect, the ditty of ‘You Grew on Me” would definitely be thee song of choice for the past 103 days – and every word would mean something.
 
I just wish there was more white wine and sun.
 
In Summary
 
Whilst the daily activities of – well – the day are largely the same as at any other time, the differing cultures of an American girl and a good, old fashioned English, North-East boy provide an interesting perspective on life and living.
 
No one said it’d be easy and it certainly hasn’t been at times – but wow, it has been fun and it has highlighted many a thought and challenges on the day-to-day rigours of life from two people who come from very different places, yet somehow find themselves together.
 
It’s been an experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment